Afternoon tea darlings?? I'm a sucker for a good scone (pronounced scone as in gone!!) with some clotted cream and raspberry jam. My ultimate fav scones to bake are cherry scones. I just cannot get enough of them and my best friend jade is a fellow cherry scone lover and is always made up when I've baked a batch. Though it has been a while. What is your favourite flavour scone?
Now have you ever tried a savoury scone? This time of year, everybody seems to be making homemade soups. And what a better partner to go with a nice bowl of wonderfully warming soup, than some freshly made cheese scones? Trust me, they're cheesy peasy to make too! A good one to get the little ones involved with as it requires a lot of handy work. So is great for kids who like to get messy and will really help them to develop their fine motor skills whilst having fun too.
225g of self raising flour.
120g grated mature cheese.
1 Tsp of cayenne pepper.
1 Tsp of baking powder.
55g butter sliced into chunks.
90ml of milk. Plus 1Tbsp for glazing.
1) Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl and then add the cheese. Mix cheese through, thoroughly.
2) Add butter. I'm lazy so didn't chop mine as such but instead put it in, in blobs! As shown in picture below. Using your fingers rub the butter in with the flour mix until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
3) Add Milk 45ml at a time taking care not too over mix. Your mixture should come together at this point to form a nice dough.
4) Sprinkle some flour onto your work surface and roll your dough out to about an inch thickness and then using a cutter or glass rim, cut out your circles and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
5) Brush the top of each scone with a little milk and then sprinkle a tiny bit of cayenne pepper on the top of each one, before placing in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 15 minutes until well risen and slightly golden on top.
Viola!! Perfect fluffy savoury scones with cayenne and cheese. Yum Yum Yum.
Nutritional info as below per scone. This recipe made 7.
Welcome to my recipe page....
I have a massive sweet tooth, I'm usually the girl checking out the dessert menu in the restaurants first and fock it lifes to short!! Anyone who knows me knows I love to cook/bake so on here I'll be sharing my recipes with you guys. My staple bakes are....